Vehicle Claims History FAQ

Find answers to frequently asked questions about vehicle claims history reports.

How can my client check if there is a lien on a vehicle?

In B.C., liens are registered by the Personal Property Registry in Victoria. If your customer provides the vehicle’s VIN, they can have a lien search done by:

  • some ServiceBC centres (in person only), or
  • the Personal Property Registry (in person or written requests).

Please note: ICBC driver licensing offices no longer do lien searches.

If the vehicle your customer is interested in is from another province or state, a lien search should be done for that location. They can get Canada-wide lien information by ordering a CarProof VerifiedBC vehicle history report.

Will the report give specific details of the damage?

​For most claims, the report lists the primary area of the vehicle that was damaged.
If the damage occurred after 2002, it may be possible for your customer to obtain a copy of the detailed damage estimate (if available) for a fee of $16.78 + HST, payable by VISA or MasterCard.

If your customer would like to enquire about a detailed damage estimate:

  • Print the report for the customer.
  • Advise them to contact ICBC’s North Vancouver Head Office at 604-661-2233 or toll free at 1-800-464-5050 (Mon. to Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
  • They will need to have their driver’s licence number and the Vehicle Claims History Report available when they call.

What if my customer has more questions about buying a used car? Where can they find more information?

​Advise your customer to visit ICBC for more information on buying a used vehicle.

What are business errors?

​Occasionally, you may receive a business error when requesting a report.

If you encounter one of these business errors, please follow the prompt on the screen and telephone ICBC’s Driver Testing and Vehicle Information Services department (see Contact us for more details). The Errors often mean that ICBC must conduct additional investigation.

Please note: Due to the Business Error, your BC Online account will not have yet been charged for the report.

Can I print the report?

After you complete a search, you are given the option of printing or emailing the Vehicle Claims History report, or doing both. Because each time you request a search (even on the same VIN) you will be charged a fee, it is suggested that you print, or email a copy for your reference.

If you do email a copy, be aware that you cannot reply to the email. If you have questions, please contact us.