Learn how to replace your lost or stolen licence, ID, enhanced driver’s licence, or enhanced ID card.

Replace damaged, lost or stolen licence or BCID

If your licence has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can replace it at any ICBC driver licensing office.

If your licence has been stolen, contact your local police to file a report. 

How to replace your licence or ID

To replace your licence:

Note: If you do not have enough accepted ID to replace your lost or stolen card, please contact a Driver Licensing representative either in person or by phone.

If you’re outside of B.C. and do not have your licence

Depending on your situation we may be able to help you. Call our driver licensing information line.

BC Services Card

Learn more about getting a BC Services card as an alternative to a BCID.

Replace lost or stolen EDL or EIC

If your enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EIC) is lost or stolen, call the EDL Customer Line immediately at 1-866-972-6888.

How to replace your EDL or EIC

To replace your EDL or EIC, you need to book an in-person appointment.Book your appointment

What to bring to your appointment

  • your original Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship document,and
  • one other piece of acceptable ID.

For details, see pages 3-9 of Your Guide to B.C.’s Enhanced Driver’s Licence Program.

When replacing an EDL or EIC, a passport is not accepted as proof of Canadian citizenship.

Found your card?

If you find your EDL or EIC after reporting it missing, you:

  • can’t use the card to cross the border
  • can still use your EDL to drive, and
  • should book an appointment to reapply for a replacement licence or ID as soon as possible.

Important: If you try to use your EDL or EIC at the U.S. border while its status on our records is lost or stolen, it will be confiscated. You could also encounter problems if you’re pulled over by the police in B.C.

Interim driver’s licence

We’ll issue you an interim driver’s licence while you’re waiting for your new EDL to arrive by mail. The interim driver’s licence can’t be used for cross-border travel into the U.S.