Insurance and licensing requirements for ride-hailing

If you’d like to drive your vehicle for a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Lyft, here’s what you need to know about insurance and driver licensing.

What is a ride-hailing service?

Also known as transportation network services (TNS), ride-hailing companies connect drivers with paying passengers through the use of an online platform or app.

As of September 3, 2019, ride-hailing companies can apply to the Passenger Transportation Board (PTB) for a licence to operate in B.C. (a TNS licence). ICBC insurance products for ride-hailing are available as of September 16, 2019. Read the government announcement.

What are the requirements to drive for a ride-hailing company?

The ride-hailing company is responsible for ensuring drivers and vehicles meet PTB requirements, as set out in government regulations. These include:

  • a Class 1, Class 2 or Class 4 commercial driver’s licence issued in B.C.
  • a police record check
  • a vehicle that meets all requirements and has passed a vehicle inspection
  • a commercial driving record, commonly known as an (N) print or National Safety Code abstract, which you can request online or by phone at 1-800-663-3051 or 604-661-2800

Find out more about Class 4 licences:

  • How to get your Class 4 driver’s licence
  • Class 4 restricted pre-trip inspection guide


Basic insurance coverage

ICBC will sell a blanket insurance certificate to the ride-hailing company, not individual drivers, which provides the Basic insurance during ride-hailing use. This blanket Basic coverage is mandatory for ride-hailing companies and provides coverage for Accident Benefits and up to $1,000,000 third party liability.

This means you and your passengers will be covered by the ride-hailing company’s Basic insurance when you have accepted a trip via the app, when you are en route to pick up the passenger(s), or transporting the passenger(s).

When to visit your Autoplan broker

You do not need to visit your broker until your next renewal date after September 16, 2019. At that time, you may be asked if you are driving for a ride-hailing service so it can be declared on your insurance.

Until then, you are covered by your current policy coverages and the ride-hailing company’s blanket policy. Talk to your Autoplan broker if you have any questions.

If you are a ride-hailing company wanting to learn more about or purchase the blanket insurance certificate, contact your Autoplan broker.

Optional Blanket coverage

Optional coverage, such as Collision and Comprehensive, is available as of September 16, 2019, to provide coverage when offering ride-hailing services. Ride-hailing companies may purchase a blanket Optional policy that would apply to its drivers. You should check with the ride-hailing company whether they have any blanket Optional coverage.

If the ride-hailing company has not purchased any blanket Optional coverage or their blanket Optional coverage is lower than your personal coverage, you may be able to add Optional coverages. Talk to your Autoplan broker for more information as exclusions may apply to your personal optional coverage during ride-hailing use.

What to bring to your broker

When you visit your Autoplan broker, make sure you know:

  • which ride-hailing service(s) you will drive for
  • what insurance the ride-hailing service(s) holds 
  • how many total days per month you plan to use your vehicle for ride-hailing services – up to 6 days or over 6 days per month (for all ride-hailing services combined).

You do not need to provide your vehicle inspection, criminal record check or your Class 4 driver’s licence to the broker, as these will be provided to and validated by the ride-hailing company.