Have a business that needs to insure more than five motor vehicles? By using Fleetplan, you can protect all your vehicles in the fleet—saving you time, money and administrative headaches.
To discuss your options or to purchase insurance, contact an ICBC Autoplan broker.
Do the recent changes to insurance impact my Fleetplan policy?
Fleet drivers involved in an at-fault crash will not have their non-fleet insurance premiums impacted.
- Crashes and driver impacts
- Benefits and discounts
- How we calculate fleet premiums
- How to buy
Businesses that can benefit from Fleetplan include transport operations, trades and smaller companies.
- You have five or more motor vehicles that are registered or leased to you or your company, and
- the vehicles are primarily used for commercial or business purposes.
What about trailers?
Trailers can be included in a fleet, once the minimum requirement for motor vehicles is met.
Can I choose not to have Fleetplan?
- If you’re insuring five to 19 motor vehicles, you can choose whether or not to participate in Fleetplan.
- If you have 20 or more motor vehicles insured for commercial or business use, Fleetplan participation is required.
Changes which may impact your employees and customers
Moving forward, drivers involved in an at-fault crash in a fleet vehicle will not have their personal policies impacted.
If you had an at-fault crash while driving a non-fleet company vehicle (and the first payment on that claim occured on or after March 1, 2017), that crash will still follow you and impact your personal and non-fleet commercial insurance. That impact depends on the rate class of the vehicle involved in the crash, and whether the claim is repaid.
How does the rate class impact my employees?
Rate classes will not impact fleet drivers if they’re involved in a crash. If an at-fault crash occurs in a non-fleet vehicle, the driver’s personal insurance premiums (and those of any other policies where they’re listed as a driver) may be affected.
Claim repayment for Fleetplan
- Claim repayment rules are not changing for fleet owners after September 1, 2019.
For questions on Fleetplan changes and how they may affect you, talk to your ICBC Autoplan broker.
By using Fleetplan, you get higher maximum premium discounts, access to enhanced financing, and simpler administration.
- A maximum premium discount of up to 63 per cent.
- Convenient payment options, including debit card, credit card and ICBC’s payment plan.
- Payment plan financing for fleets allows mid-term changes to the plan.
- Vehicle licences and insurance expire on the same date for all vehicles in the fleet, making administration easier.
- No need to list drivers or declare a principal driver.
- Access to your quarterly and four-year loss/claims experience reports.
- Access to ICBC appraisers who specialize in heavy vehicles and equipment.
- 24/7 claims service, including out-of-province.
As of September 1, 2019, two new discounts are available to ICBC customers, including Fleetplan customers: low-kilometre discount for vehicles driven less than 5,000km a year and a safety discount for vehicles equipped with factory-installed autonomous emergency breaking.
How we calculate fleet premiums
For each vehicle in your fleet, the premium is based on the business use of the vehicle, the territories in which it operates and the value of the vehicle.
Once these factors are taken into account, the overall fleet discount or surcharge is applied.
The fleet discount or surcharge is based on the fleet’s “loss ratio” over a three-year period. Fewer at-fault claims means a lower loss ratio and a higher fleet discount.
The loss ratio is the percentage of the fleet’s total premium (before discount) compared to all dollars used to pay for the fleet’s at-fault claims.
Further discounts for large fleets
We have a voluntary, performance-based program (Fleet Premium Adjustment Agreement, or “Retro”) that can earn large fleets up to 35 per cent in premium returns.
To join, you just need to
- insure more than 200 vehicles, or
- have an annual premium after discount of $100,000 or more.
Premiums are based on your loss ratio
|your loss ratio is 25% or less
|you receive 35% of your annual premium back the following year
|your loss ratio exceeds 65%
|you will have to pay an additional 10% of your annual premium
How to buy
We have over 900 Autoplan brokers across B.C. to serve you.
To purchase Fleetplan or discuss your options, contact an ICBC Autoplan broker.