Specialized coverages

Sometimes your vehicle needs a different level of protection. We have specialized products to cover less common situations.

To find out more, talk to your Autoplan broker.

  • Off-road vehicles
  • Vehicles in storage
  • Optional coverage for luxury vehicles

Protection for all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and more

As of November 17, 2014, you will need Basic insurance for your ORV if you operate it on a highway.

You may need liability coverage for your off-road vehicle, or want protection in case it’s stolen or in a crash. We have coverage for all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and dune buggies that you can customize for your needs.

You need to be at least 16 years old to operate a vehicle with this coverage.

You may also want to check out Vehicle in Storage coverage—a smart option when your vehicle isn’t being used.

For more information on the requirements for registering, displaying a number plate, licensing and insuring an ORV, contact your Autoplan broker.

Protect your vehicle in its down times

A storage policy protects your vehicle when it’s not being used.

Why get it? Here’s an example

The Lee family loves camping through the summer, but the rest of the year they park their RV in their driveway. One stormy night, a tree branch fell on the motorhome. Luckily they’d bought a storage policy, so the repairs were covered.

Even when it’s being stored, your vehicle can be damaged—or cause damage to others. Your Vehicle in Storage policy can include both third party liability and vehicle coverages like Collision, Comprehensive and Specified Perils.

To learn more about the advantages of a storage policy, talk to your Autoplan broker.

Special risk own damage coverage for luxury vehicles

If you own or lease one of these luxury vehicles and want to buy the Special Risk Own Damage Policy in order to be covered for Collision, Comprehensive, or Specified Perils, you need to apply to ICBC.

It’s a separate application from your Basic Autoplan insurance, and it’s available through your Autoplan broker.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Application for own damage coverage form         
  2. Take the completed form to your Autoplan broker.

Note: You have to do this in person — you can’t designate someone else to sign the application and policy on your behalf.

Applying for special risk own damage coverage

Apply five business days before your current policy expires or before you get your new vehicle. Otherwise, you could find yourself without own damage coverage when you buy or renew your insurance policy.

What happens next

Your broker will send the completed form to ICBC. ICBC’s underwriters will review your application. Once approved, they will advise your broker when the Special Risk Own Damage Policy is ready to be issued.