Welcome to B.C.! After moving here, you have 90 days to switch your valid licence to a B.C. driver’s licence.

The 90-day rule does not apply if you:

  • are visiting as a tourist for up to six months
  • have a valid student exemption due to full-time enrollment at a designated educational institution in B.C.
  • are temporary foreign worker with a federal work permit designating that you are in the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP). Workers in the SAWP may drive for up to 12 months on a valid licence from their home jurisdiction. If you’re staying longer than 12 months under SAWP and want to continue driving then you will need to get a B.C. driver’s licence.

Requirements for new B.C. residents

Starting September 1, 2019, new B.C. residents will only be required to provide their driver licence history — proof of insurance is no longer required. However, their premiums will be adjusted for the first three years of driving in B.C. due to the increased risks associated with driving in a new area.

Each year you remain crash-free, your discount increases. ICBC will credit you with up to 15 years of driving experience (up from eight years) upon receipt of a driver’s abstract showing the original date that you received your licence. (Customers who moved to B.C. and received their B.C. driver’s licence prior to September 1, 2019, will automatically have their years of experience adjusted.)

When obtaining your B.C. licence, you can provide your original driver’s abstract in person at a driver licensing office.

If you’ve previously held a B.C. driver’s licence and are returning to the province, you will not be considered a new resident.

Driving experience requirement

If you don’t have two years’ driving experience (with a full-privilege, non-learner licence) or can’t prove it, you can still get a Class 7 or Class 8 licence with graduated licensing restrictions.

  • How to apply for a B.C. licence
  • ​​Reciprocal licence exchange
  • Non-reciprocal licence exchange

To apply for a B.C. driver’s licence, go to any driver licensing office in B.C. Bring the following to apply for your licence:

Giving up your previous licence

If you qualify for a new B.C. driver’s licence, you will need to surrender your previous licence to ICBC. 

B.C. law requires that you only have one driver’s licence. This includes surrendering your previous licence if you are required to take a road test with us. If you do not pass the road test, you will be issued a B.C. Learners licence, and your previous licence will not be returned to you.

New to B.C.?

Get information in Punjabi or Chinese

  • Punjabi
  • Simplified Chinese
  • Traditional Chinese

Getting documents translated

If your licence or driving record is in a language other than English, an ICBC-approved translator located in B.C. will need to translate your documents.